Kenyon College is hiring a Director for its Writing Center. The Writing Center provides peer-to-peer tutoring services to facilitate the improvement of written communication skills for undergraduate students of all levels, in all disciplines, and in all phases of the writing process. The primary responsibilities of the Director are: 1) management of the Writing Center, including providing leadership, vision, and innovation in the design and delivery of peer tutoring related to writing and programming that will enhance writing on campus, 2) hiring, supervising and mentoring the undergraduate tutoring staff, 3) teaching 1-2 courses per year in the English department, including a tutor training course, 4) outreach and coordination of programs with campus offices such as Academic Advising and Support, the Center for Global Engagement, the Kenyon Review, and Student Accessibility and Support Services. Other responsibilities include consultation with faculty on writing pedagogy, tutor scheduling, management of the center, and related duties as assigned.
The Writing Center Director position is a full-time, non-tenure track renewable position. Review of applications will begin on May 30th and continue until the position is filled.
Preferred qualifications include:
- demonstrated excellence in a leadership role at a writing or communication center
- clear commitment to teaching and the transformative power of a liberal education
- experience teaching, mentoring, and working with students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, including ESL students
- scholarly work related to areas such as rhetoric, composition, writing development
- experience training tutors and a track record in the design and implementation of writing workshops and programs
- PhD in rhetoric and composition studies or equivalent degree with certification in rhetoric and composition.
A completed application will include:
- a cover letter detailing writing center experience, interests and accomplishments, teaching experience, and ways that issues and practices related to diversity, inclusion, and equity have been or will be included in the work of the Writing Center and classroom;
- a Curriculum Vitae;
- an unofficial graduate transcript
- Applicants should also submit the names and email addresses of three references, including at least one who can attest to the applicant’s teaching effectiveness and potential. These references may be prompted by email to upload their letters of recommendation to the application website at a later stage.
Kenyon College is a nationally prominent, private liberal arts college where academic excellence goes hand in hand with a strong sense of community and close relationships among students and professors.
Compensation and Benefits
Salaries at Kenyon are competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition to an attractive salary, Kenyon offers benefits for employees and their family members. Children of employees are eligible for 100% tuition waivers at Kenyon, and through the Great Lakes Colleges Association, children of employees are eligible for 85% tuition waivers at fifteen other of the nation's finest liberal arts colleges.
We also offer health and dental insurance, TIAA retirement, and many other benefits, including provisions for a spouse, families, and domestic partners. Details about benefits as well as conditions of employment are described more fully in our Staff Handbook.
Kenyon is a unique place to live and work. To discover why it should be your next home, click here.
Kenyon College is an equal opportunity employer and applications from members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. It is the College's policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age, religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local, or federal law. Kenyon College has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion. Please visit our Diversity at Kenyon website.