Job no: 492792
Work type: Non-Exempt Staff
Location: Gambier, OH
Kenyon College is conducting a search for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Utility Person. This is a full-time position with benefits. The starting rate of pay is $26.63 per hour, this position is on a progressive three-year wage scale, reaching $34.11 per hour. The schedule for this position is Sunday thru Thursday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm with a 1 hour unpaid lunch. The successful candidate must complete a 90-day probation period.
Use generally accepted techniques and procedures of the utility trade to perform journey level work involving inspection, installation, maintenance, trouble-shooting and repair of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems and related controls, equipment, distribution duct and piping systems, to insure that all systems operate properly in accordance with their intended use. In addition, persons in this trade will be responsible for operation of the swimming pool equipment and maintenance of the proper balance of chemicals in the pool water, in accordance with health code regulations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Read and interpret drawings, prints, specifications, shop drawings, schematics, manuals etc. to determine work requirements and procedures.
- Take field measurements and prepare sketches for fabrication of system components.
- Procure or fabricate system components and/or parts in accordance with field measurements, drawings, prints or sketches etc. and install same in accordance with generally accepted trade practices, to insure equipment and system performance in accordance with design specifications.
- Repair, replace or alter system components to insure proper performance.
- Inspect building facilities and equipment to ascertain required repairs, prepare lists of required project materials and report discrepancies, recommendations and necessary follow up to supervisor, if unable to correct a problem.
- Operate and maintain boiler units of varying types and sizes, including blow down and chemical cleaning of coils, chemical treatment of feed water, burner maintenance and adjustments for optimum operation and proper maintenance and adjustment of all safety valves and equipment.
- Operate, service, repair and maintain swimming pool equipment, filters and purification system.
- Maintain, repair and adjust kitchen equipment.
- Perform electric and gas welding of various types and gauges of metals in the repair of equipment and/or fabrication of metal parts and structures.
- Perform other tasks for which specifically trained and/or certified, such as asbestos removal.
- Make emergency responses to problems in other trade areas when working shifts outside the normal work day/week, such as toilet plunging, setting electrical breakers, blocking off or taping broken windows, etc.
- Act as group leader when so designated by supervisor.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned in emergencies.
- High School graduate or GED with good reading, math skills and mechanical aptitude.
- Have at least 8 years experience in the utility or related trade, at least four of which must have been at the journey level; or, be a graduate of a formal and recognized apprentice program and have two years experience at the journey level.
- Valid Driver’s license and ability to operate a standard shift vehicle.
- Knowledge of hand and power tools normally used in the trade and the safe use and/or operation of same.
- Ability to comprehend and follow verbal and/or written instruction and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Good physical condition.
- Able to work at high elevations using scaffolding and/or ladders.
- Capable of lifting and carrying heavy loads.
- Good manual dexterity.
Kenyon College is an equal opportunity employer and applications from members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. It is the College's policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age, religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local, or federal law. Kenyon College has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion. Please visit our Diversity at Kenyon website.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend