Job no: 492779
Work type: Non-Exempt Staff
Location: Gambier, OH
Kenyon College is conducting a search for a part-time custodian to perform a wide variety of tasks working independently, or as a member of a group, to maintain college buildings and facilities free of hazards and presenting a clean and neat appearance. Work hours may range over all three shifts: 6 am-3 pm, 3 pm-11:30 pm and 10 pm-6:30 am. Rate of pay is $12.00/hr.
Some of the duties and qualifications for this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lift, carry and move materials, supplies, furniture and equipment in a safe and careful manner.
- Use various hand and/or powered cleaning equipment such as, dust and scrub mops, vacuum cleaners, buffer/floor polishers and carpet shampoo/extractor equipment.
- Use various chemicals and cleaning products in a safe manner for the purpose intended, in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and material safety data sheets.
- Collect trash in campus buildings and around entry areas and place in appropriate containers in designated spaces.
- Empty waste baskets, clean erasers and wash, dust, sweep and vacuum floors, walls, windows (inside and outside), black/white boards, ceilings and equipment and furnishings in buildings and facilities using appropriate cleaning techniques, products and equipment.
- Strip and wax floors and shampoo/extract carpets as directed.
- Clean light fixtures and replace all burned out light bulbs that are reachable from a stepladder, both interior and outside entrances of buildings.
- Clean restrooms, toilet fixtures and showers.
- Clean building entrances and sweep surrounding walks.
- Shovel snow at building entrances and surrounding sidewalks and spread de-icing chemicals to provide safe access.
- Report all damage, safety hazards and other discrepancies noted in buildings and equipment that require the services of other college employees or a contractor to correct.
- Assist in collecting recycling.
- Perform various other duties, as may be assigned by a supervisor.
- Ability to use hand powered cleaning equipment.
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions on product labels.
- Ability to comprehend and follow verbal and/or written instructions for work assignments and work cooperatively as a team member, or independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work at heights on ladders to change light bulbs and wash windows, walls and ceilings.
- Ability to lift, move and transport materials, supplies and equipment up to 50lbs.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Kenyon College is an equal opportunity employer and applications from members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. It is the College's policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age, religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local, or federal law. Kenyon College has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion. Please visit our Diversity at Kenyon website.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend