Kenyon College invites applications for the position of Senior Assistant Coach - Men's and Women's Tennis. This is a full-time 10-month appointment with flexibility to set work hours appropriate to the needs of the program. The position includes a generous benefits package.
Kenyon College, a highly selective liberal arts college of 1700 students, is a Division III member of the NCAA and is a founding member of the North Coast Athletic Conference. Kenyon offers twenty-two varsity sports, eleven for men and eleven for women. The college is located in the beautiful village of Gambier, 50 miles northeast of Columbus, Ohio.
This is a Full time, 10-month reporting position with benefits. Working beside the Head Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach, this coach will assist with the responsibilities of successful NCAA D-III Men’s and Women’s programs in accordance and compliance with NCAA, NCAC, and Kenyon College policies and regulations. The Senior Assistant Coach will work in conjunction with the head coach to fulfill the following responsibilities: coaching and instructing, recruiting, arranging travel, managing budgets, tracking equipment and developing alumni contacts, The Senior Assistant Coach will function as the coach of record for one team when the men’s and women’s teams are split at different sites of competition. Although the head coach will be primarily responsible for the organization and maintenance of the program, this position will have significant input into this process. Additional responsibilities will be assigned in game management, facility overview, teaching and /or administration.
It is also expected that the Senior Assistant Coach for Men’s and Women’s Tennis embraces the department mission of fostering learning and developing community with a focus on the values of citizenship, competition, resiliency, sportsmanship, and teamwork within Kenyon’s unique campus culture. Successful candidates will be able to show a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in their support for students from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic, religious, and national backgrounds.
- Work in direct collaboration with the head coach.
- Serve as coach of record during times when the men’s and women’s teams are competing or practicing at different locations.
- Recruit strong candidates for Kenyon College both on and off the court by establishing and maintaining effective communication with prospective student-athletes.
- Plan and execute practices with consideration to facility schedule.
- Conduct training, including hitting with student-athletes in individual sessions.
- Manage budgets, purchasing and inventory.
- Provide timely submission of correct statistics for training, sports information and NCAA entry procedures.
- Develop competitive and balanced schedule for two nationally recognized programs.
- Schedule officials.
- Create team-building exercises to aid in engaging student-athletes.
- Any other duties assigned by the head coach.
- Work in conjunction with athletic trainers to maintain student-athlete welfare.
- Stay up-to-date with sport and coaching best practices.
- Participate in the NCAC governance for tennis at coaches meetings as requested.
- Plan away game travel.
- Maintain social media accounts.
- All coaches are assigned additional duties in the areas of facility and event /game management and teaching. These responsibilities are determined annually by Coordinator of Lifetime Fitness, Game / Event Manager, Facility Manager(s) and Director of Athletics, Fitness and Recreation.
- Serve as a member of the Athletics, Fitness and Recreation team, responsible for providing leadership, goals, and program implementation at a fully residential campus housing 1700 undergraduate students.
- Develop and maintain mutually supportive and collaborative working relationships with student affairs colleagues, faculty, and other campus partners to accomplish shared objectives and tasks.
- Lead and assist with designated departmental, divisional, and/or College committees, initiatives and processes.
- Develop meaningful connections with students, staff and faculty by being available and visible on campus.
- Assist with special projects and duties, as needed.
- Demonstrate a commitment to and compliance with the College’s and Department of Athletics, Fitness and Recreation policies and procedures as well as the North Coast Athletic Conference and NCAA constitutions, bylaws, legislation and regulations.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Department of Athletics’ student-athlete handbook, and the Student Affairs and College’s mission statements.
- Ability to step in for the Head Coach at any given time.
- Collaborative mindset.
- Demonstrated support for students from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Fundraising experience.
- Community Relations experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to personal growth and learning.
- Demonstrated commitment to athletes as students.
- Some heavy lifting / moving equipment is required.
- The working schedule is not traditional nor regular: early morning, day, late evenings, weekends are required, as may be work during college breaks and summers.
- Travel for athletic contests, recruiting, coaches meetings and convention/caucus attendance is required.
- The ability to obtain College driver certification is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong playing experience preferred.
- Collegiate coaching experience preferred.
- Experience in recruitment of academically focused-student athletes is preferred.
- CPR, First Aid and AED Certification is required (and can be completed after hire).
Kenyon College is a nationally prominent, private liberal arts college where academic excellence goes hand in hand with a strong sense of community and close relationships among students and professors.
Compensation and Benefits
Salaries at Kenyon are competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition to an attractive salary, Kenyon offers benefits for employees and their family members. Children of employees are eligible for 100% tuition waivers at Kenyon, and through the Great Lakes Colleges Association, children of employees are eligible for 85% tuition waivers at fifteen other of the nation's finest liberal arts colleges.
We also offer health and dental insurance, TIAA/CREF retirement, and many other benefits, including provisions for a spouse, families, and domestic partners. Details about benefits as well as conditions of employment are described more fully in our Staff Handbook.
Kenyon is a unique place to live and work. To discover why it should be your next home, click here.
Kenyon College is an equal opportunity employer and applications from members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. It is the College's policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age, religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local, or federal law. Kenyon College has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion. Please visit our Diversity at Kenyon website.