Customer Service and Sales Associate
Job no: 492753
Work type: Non-Exempt Staff
Location: Gambier, OH
Kenyon College is conducting a search for a qualified candidate to serve in the position of Customer Service and Sales Associate in the Bookstore. The hourly rate of pay for this full-time position is $9.45 and includes a generous benefits package.
- Alert Sales Floor Manager or Manager on Duty of concerns, problems, and opportunities for improving sales and service to customers.
- Offer customer reasonable amends to repair customer relationship when the Bookstore or one of its vendors has made a mistake or has inconvenienced the customer.
- Provide assistance to trainees and new hires when Sales Floor Manager or employee assigned as lead trainer is not available.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following)
- Offer friendly greeting to customers.
- Seek a positive outcome for every customer interaction.
- Assist customers in researching, identifying and locating requested items (walk customer to item if it is in stock and circumstances permit).
- Handle customer transactions with cash, credit cards, campus debit cards, gift cards and departmental charges.
- Count in a drawer at the beginning of a shift and balances the drawer at the end of the shift.
- Serve as “Designated Essential Personnel,” required to be on duty during severe weather and power outages.
- Scoop ice cream.
- Restock food service areas.
- Prepare coffee and monitor pots so that coffee is always available and hot.
- Clean coffee service area, food prep counters and the ice cream cooler.
- Recommends additional items whenever appropriate
- For items with potentially broad appeal, forward customer requests for items not stocked to appropriate buyer.
- Serve as campus information resource, answering questions about the college and the surrounding area. Offer directions, recommendations and weather updates.
- Learn about new merchandise by reviewing sales floor at the beginning of each shift.
- Merchandise sections (shelve, straighten, organize and display stock).
- Clean and dust throughout sales floor.
- Change display areas as requested.
- Assist with student package pick up.
- Assist with receiving and stocking merchandise.
- Assist with annual physical inventory.
- Restock supplies at service counters.
- Maintain a clean and organized sales floor.
- Assist trainees and new hires when Sales Floor Manager or employee assigned as lead trainer is not available.
- Perform duties on daily checklists (opening duties, closing duties, items needing attention during open hours).
- Alerts Sales Floor Manager to on-hand quantity discrepancies or other mistakes in inventory
- Review Staff Journal at the beginning of each shift and reviews pages upon return to work after time off.
- Use good judgment to identify demanding (and unreasonable) customer situations and contact Sales Floor Manager or Manager on duty for support in handling.
- Assist with in-store and off-site events.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings.
- Handle additional tasks as requested by Sales Floor Manager or General Manager.
- Punctuality, arriving on time for all shifts.
- Ability to smile, make eye contact, and pleasantly converse with customers.
- Ability to stand for 8 hours at a time.
- Ability to reach into the ice cream cooler in order to serve customers and to restock.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to walk up and down stairs.
- Ability to handle cash and accurately make change.
- Ability to balance a drawer and create a daily deposit.
- Commitment to deliver exceptional customer service (internal and external customers).
- Resourcefulness and ability to troubleshoot problems.
- Accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to alphabetize and organize.
- Familiarity with Bookstore promotions and campus events schedule.
- Understanding of amenities on campus in surrounding area.
- Familiarity of store layout and all Bookstore products.
- Understanding of Booklog’s Cash Register and Inventory Search modules.
- Understanding of technology tools for researching requests.
- Understanding of health code requirements in convenience store.
- Adhere to store policies and guidelines.
- Maintain positive relationships with others.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
Kenyon College is an equal opportunity employer and applications from members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. It is the College's policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age, religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local, or federal law. Kenyon College has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion. Please visit our Diversity at Kenyon website.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend