Counseling Services Administrative Assistant
Job no: 492726
Work type: Non-Exempt Staff
Location: Gambier, OH
Kenyon College is conducting a search for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Counseling Services Administrative Assistant. Reporting to the Associate Director of Counseling, this position provides daily administrative support to Counseling services. This person is expected to demonstrate privacy, maturity, independence, motivation and excellent communication. Excellent organizational skills along with the ability to handle multiple priorities are essential to this position. As this position is often the first point of contact for students experiencing emotional health challenges, compassion and a clear understanding of support resources are essential. The administrative assistant is crucial in helping to maintain a healthy, productive office environment that allows the Cox Health and Counseling Center staff to successfully function in their respective roles. The hourly rate of pay for this 10 month (approximately 1540 annual hours) position, with benefits, is $13.97.
Essential Functions of the Administrative Assistant
- Provide office coverage during normal business hours of the academic year.
- Coordinate student appointments (either by phone, email or in-person) in a respectful, professional manner.
- Direct students to crisis support resources (i.e. ProtoCall).
- Assist with the referral of students to outside health care providers.
- Office support of accounting including procurement card reconciliation, purchasing, and payment orders.
- Student medical record management including daily file organizing in the electronic health record, providing requested records, and overseeing the transfer (and disposal) of paper copy records.
- Maintain an office filing system including correspondence, consultations, forms, employee attendance, and student letters.
- Prepare required reports (including electronic health record and service utilization data), as requested by the Cox Center leadership.
- Evaluate efficiency of office operations and propose change when needed (in consultation with other staff members including Health Services front desk and Cox Center leadership).
- Collaborate with other campus departments and off campus partners, when necessary.
- Coordinate responses to general inquiries from students, parents/guardians, employees and other health care providers to the appropriate staff member.
- Provide administrative and office support to counseling team members.
- Perform other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Success Factors
- Strong Organizational Skills- Ability to manage numerous projects in various stages of completion while maintaining appropriate, productive work flow.
- Interpersonal Skills- This person will be greeting students and visitors and is expected to demonstrate a welcoming and professional attitude. Demonstrate ability to maintain collaborative, respectful relationships with health and counseling center staff, other campus departments, and student body.
- Team Player- Willing to be flexible and open minded with other staff members. Considers others ideas, while supporting the mission and vision of the college and center.
- Computer Skills/Medical Terminology- Possesses advanced knowledge regarding the operation and maintenance of office computer systems. Knowledgeable in the interpretation and usage of medical terminology.
- A general understanding of electronic health record systems is highly recommended.
- Support goals, values, and policies of Kenyon College and the Cox Health & Counseling Center.
- Ability to bend/reach to retrieve charts, lift (generally no more than 10 pounds) and sit at a computer for extended periods of time.
- May include close contact with ill students including behavioral health crisis and airborne or blood borne pathogens (low risk).
- The administrative assistant is located in an enclosed front office area and may be faced with frequent competing in-person and on the telephone demands.
- At least 5 years of administrative/ clerical managerial experience (preferred counseling/ medical office setting).
- Basic knowledge of office computer systems; preferred knowledge of electronic health record systems.
- Demonstrated strengths in oral and written communication.
- Demonstrated ability in office organization.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player.
- Ability and willingness to work with college students, parents, college personnel and outside vendors to support students’ health.
Kenyon College is an equal opportunity employer and applications from members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. It is the College's policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age, religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local, or federal law. Kenyon College has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion. Please visit our Diversity at Kenyon website.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend